VIC Licensing

Victorian Licensing requirements

Under Section 10 of the State’s Firearms Act:
(1)The Chief Commissioner must not issue a longarm license for category A or B longarms unless the applicant can demonstrate that the license is required for one or more of the following reasons
(a) for sport or target shooting;
(b) for hunting;
(c) for primary production;
(d) for the occupation of security guard or prison guard;
(e) for an official or commercial purpose or for a purpose authorized by the Act or regulations.

Before any license can be issued, under Section 10 (2) (a) (e) all applicants must provide written proof that they:

  • have permission to hunt on private land, or hold a game license under the Wildlife Act 1975,
  • or are a member of an approved club, or
  • have the appropriate occupational prerequisites.

Anyone seeking a firearm collectors license has to have been “a member of an organization of firearm collectors approved by the Chief Commissioner” for at least six months.

Anyone seeking a license for a category D or E longarm, a handgun or a firearm collection must provide a full set of their fingerprints.

A 28 day waiting period applies to first time applicants only. Exemptions for category C shotguns extend to all clay target clubs approved by the Chief Commissioner.

Firearms Safety Course Locations

Contact the Wodonga Police Station, 100 Hovell Street, Wodonga or Phone: (02)60492600 for available dates and times of the safety course which is held locally. Details for other regions contact your firearms officer who will be able to advise you on the times and places for upcoming firearms safety courses.

Handgun Target Shooting

Visit the Wodonga Handgun website for more information. Your enquires are welcome and arrange a time for an introductory into the fastest going sport in this region, click on SSAA Pistol button above.
Also visit Victorian Police website for forms and legal requirements.


The Department of Natural Resources and Environment issues game licences for the taking of particular species under the State’s Wildlife Act (1975).

Hunting is permitted on private property with appropriate permission. Hunting is also permitted on Crown land in accordance with relevant State Acts and regulations and in certain areas of State forest.

Visit Sporting Shooters Of Australia and Game Council (DPI) NSW for more information on hunting organisations and State forest requirements for NSW.

Moving between states

Under Section 185 of the Firearms Act Victoria recognises licences issued in other states. However, visiting shooters must abide by the State’s various laws and regulations. Licence holders who move to the State permanently must notify the Chief Commissioner of their intention, in which case their out-of-state licence for category A and B firearms is valid for three months. In the case of category C and D longarms and all handguns however, the period is only seven days.


Under Section 18 of the Firearms Act the Chief Commissioner may issue a licence for a category A, B, or C longarm or a handgun to individuals down to the age of 12 years provided they are engaging in competition shooting.

Storage Requirements for Firearms

Victoria’s firearm laws have clear and comprehensive storage standards for all firearm licences which are drawn from the National Firearms Agreement.

General Security Requirements for all Firearms

It is a general rule under the firearm laws that a person who is carrying or using a firearm must:

  • Ensure that the firearm is carried and used in a manner that is secure and not dangerous;
  • Take reasonable precautions to ensure that the firearm is not lost or stolen; and
  • Not permit the firearm to be carried or used by a person who is not authorised to do so. It is also a general rule that if more than 15 firearms are stored at any one premises, the premises must be fitted with an effective alarm system.

Specific Storage Requirements

Under the firearm laws there are also specific storage requirements for different firearm licences. These requirements are set out below:

Licences for Category A or B Firearms

The firearm must be stored in a receptacle which:
– Is constructed of hard wood or steel so that it is not easily penetrable;
– If it weighs less than 150 kilograms when empty, must be fixed to the frame of floor or the wall of the premises; and
– Is locked when any firearm is stored in it.
Any ammunition must be stored in a separate locked container.

Licences for Category C or D Firearms or a Handgun Licence

The firearm must be stored in a steel safe which:
Is of a thickness that is not easily penetrable;
If it weighs less than 150 kilograms when empty, must be bolted to the structure of the premises; and
Is locked when any firearm is stored in it. Any ammunition must be stored in a separate locked container.

Be Sociable, Share!